Today’s world consists of multiple threats including but not limited to scams that may affect Delaware County Electric Cooperative (DCEC) members. Unfortunately, scammers are evolving and introducing new advanced tactics daily. The Cooperative wants to make sure our members are prepared and able to avoid any and all types of scams.
Here are some helpful tips and best practices to keep you safe:
- If someone comes to your home claiming to be an employee of Delaware County Electric Cooperative that needs to collect money or inspect parts of your property, ask to see their ID or call us to verify they are, in fact, an employee or contractor of the Cooperatives. If they are not, call local authorities for assistance and do not let the individual into your home.
- If someone calls your home claiming that you need to make a payment right away and you are unsure if they are a representative from DCEC please hang up and call the office to verify.
- Government agencies like the IRS will never call or email you to inform you that you have unpaid taxes or other leans against you. You will always receive this type of information in the mail. If someone calls claiming to be the IRS, hang-up immediately.
- If someone calls your home claiming to have discovered a virus on your computer, hang-up. This caller’s intent is to access personal information you may be keeping on your computer.
- Do not assume the name and number on your caller ID are legitimate. Caller IDs can be spoofed.
- Never share your personal information, including date of birth, Social Security number or banking account information unless you are sure of the company receiving the information.
- Never click links or call numbers in unexpected emails or texts – especially those asking for your account information.
- If you receive a call that sounds like it may be a scam, or if you believe the call is a scam, hang up, call the police and report the incident to your local utility.
If you have any questions please the DCEC office at (607) 746-2341 for additional information.