The History of 39 Elm Street, Delhi

The History of 39 Elm Street, Delhi

Many people have commented on the fine old building that houses our business office on Elm Street. Here is some history on the house. It is built of stone and clapboard with a slate stone foundation and fits in with the other equally fine old homes situated on Elm Street. The carriage port, which was located on the western end of the house, was removed in 1968. A carriage barn stands behind the house.

The house was built in 1877 by John Hicks who lived here until 1907. Hazel V. Mara owned the house for two years until March 1909 when it was purchased by David W. & Helen Louise Rothensies. In October 1912, Elizabeth G. Farrington bought it and the Farrington family lived here until it was purchased by the Cooperative in 1955.

In 1976, Mrs. Helen Wallis of Delhi, furnished us with some information on the Farrington family. Mr. Farrington was a druggist who operated a drug store on Main Street. He retired from the drug store and wrote a book for children and many pamphlets on Lincoln. His wife, Elizabeth, of Ohio was wealthy. Their daughter, Virginia F. Welson, died in the house of tuberculosis in the late 1940’s – early 1950’s. Soon after, Mrs. Farrington suffered a nervous breakdown and was sent to Binghamton State Hospital. Mr. Farrington broke his hip and died in Delhi before Mrs. Farrington died in Binghamton in the 1950’s. An auction was held on the place and the family things were disposed of then.

The barn, which the Cooperative uses for storage, was once used by Elizabeth Farrington as an Antique shop.

Mrs. Wallis wrote that Mrs. Farrington was not only a well-known antique dealer, but also one of her good friends and a very gracious lady.

The Cooperative purchased the property on August 23, 1955 from Elizabeth Farrington Estate for a sum of $10,000.

There are two old pictures of the house in the Cooperative’s front office. Take a look the next time you are in the office.

Also, if any of our members have any more information on the house and/or any of the families who lived here, and would like to share it with us, we would be very appreciative. Please contact the office at (607) 746-9299.